You try to use your PC to run a program but you find the message “Out of memory” error coming up. This is an issue that means you can’t run programs or save new files on your PC. You have to apply various fixing methods to resolve the issue.
In this article, we’ll be looking into the details about what Out of memory error on windows means as well as how to fix it. Answers to following frequently asked questions were also provided: why is memory on my PC slow? What are the signs of insufficient RAM on my PC? How to fix out of memory error on my PC? How do I free up more memory on my PC?
To start with, let’s look at what out of memory means on a windows PC, then the various fixing methods.
What does it mean when your PC is Out of Memory?
This is an error that means your RAM is sucked up and in turn, causes your PC programs to begin to malfunction, or freeze up. You may not even be able to save new files on your PC. Several things could cause this error. However, the good thing is that there are various ways to fix it. See the different ways to fix it below.
Things to Check
In the first instance of seeing the error message, check out these things first before applying any of the listed fixing methods.
1. Check the Application Requirements: Maybe you are trying to launch an application on your PC then the error message out of memory pops up. In some cases, it could be that the application requires more memory which your PC isn’t able to provide. So you have to check the application requirements to know its demands. Graphic intensive applications are an example of an app that requires a lot of memory.
2. Ensure your Windows is updated: If you’re running on an outdated window, the out-of-memory error can come up. In the first instance of experiencing the error, check if your window is updated; if not, update it.
3. Ensure your PC have All Drivers Installed: Ensure that all the required driver to run a program on your PC is installed and updated.
Having checked all these, try out the methods below to fix memory windows errors.
7 Ways to Fix Out of Memory Error on Windows 10, 8 or 7
Here are the ways to fix “out of memory” windows errors on your PC. Check them out below;
1. Close the Programs That Are consuming too Much Memory
Some programs on your PC consume much memory and could be the cause of the out of memory error message you’re getting. To fix this error, follow the steps below;
Related: Bosch Dishwasher Troubleshooting
Step 1: Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open task manager; OR press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard and from the list of options displayed, select Task Manager.
Step 2: Navigate to the process Tab; there you’ll find programs that are using too much memory. Right-click the process’s name and select End Task.
If numerous programs are opened and is consuming too much memory, you can apply the same step to close the programs – meaning close as many program as needed to fix the error.
Once you’re done, you can try to check if the error messages is still showing. If it is, you’ll have to use other methods.
2. Use Windows Troubleshooter
Usually, if a program isn’t working well on your PC, you troubleshoot it. The same applies to fixing Out of memory windows error. To use windows troubleshooter to fix the error, see the steps below;
1. Type Troubleshooting under search from your start menu.
2. From the displayed result, select “System Maintenance” from the list. You may need to click view all to see all the displayed results of the search.
3. Click on “Next” and wait for your PC to finish the troubleshooting process.
3. Run System File Scan to fix corrupted files.
Sometimes, corrupted files on PCs eat up large memory which is one thing that could cause Out of Memory for windows. You can use the Microsoft system file checker to check for corrupted system files and repair the affected ones. Here’s how to utilize this method to fix your PC’s low memory error.
1. Type cmd in the Search box from your start menu. Right-click on Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator.
2. Type this command sfc /scannow , and press Enter.
3. Hold on for the scanning process to complete, and then restart your PC.
If any corrupted system files are causing the error, it should be fixed once the scanning process is complete and after you have restarted your PC.
4. Increase the Virtual Memory
Increasing the virtual memory is another way to fix out of memory for windows. If your PC is low on memory, increasing the virtual memory will enable you to have more space to save files. See how to go about it below;
1. Press “Windows + R” on your keyboard to open the run dialog box. Once the run dialog box comes up, type sysdm.cpl and click “OK” to open System Properties.
2. Click on Advanced system settings.
3. Click “Settings” under the advanced pane while still in System Properties.
4. Next, Click Change under the Advanced pane.
5: Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”.
- Tick on “Custom Size”
- Set “Initial size” and “Maximum size” properly.
Note: The sizes you set should be moreover than the recommended size.
- Click “Set” and “OK”.
5. Upgrade RAM
If you’ve always experienced the out of memory windows error even after trying different ways to fix it, then it’s time to upgrade your PC RAM. This upgrade speeds up your computer performance and in turn better user experience.
Note: You’ll need an expert to assist you in the RAM upgrading. It is best not to do this if you’re not an expert as you could complicate the problem if you do. You need an expert!
6. Update Windows to the Latest Version
An outdated window could also cause out of memory windows error. This is something many often don’t pay attention to. Many tag it as a less likely cause of low memory error on windows. When you’re running on an outdated version of windows on your PC, you’ll have access to minimal features which may hinder better user experience with your PC as regards the memory.
To resolve this, update windows on your PC to the latest version. New updates come up regularly to improve system stability and fix errors, one of which includes out-of-memory errors. Simply update your windows if you’re experiencing a low memory issue with your PC. See how to go about it below;
Fallow these Steps 1: Open “Settings” on your Windows 10, 8, or 7.
Step 2: Click “Update & security” and
Step 3: Click on the “Check for updates” button under Update status. This is to check whether there is a new version of Windows available.
Step 4: If there’s any new update, install it.
After the installation process ic complete, restart your PC, and then you have successfully updated your windows to the latest version.
7. Using Registry Editor
This is also another way to fix out of memory windows error. After you have tried out all the above fixing methods but still no changes, try using registry editor to fix the issue. This method involves using the windows subsystem to access the PC memory. It has a default value assigned which allows limited memory access.
See how to use the registry method to fix out of memory windows error below;
1. Press the Windows + R key to open the Run window.
2. Under the run window, type regedit and click OK
3. Once you are in the registry editor window, navigate to the path below
4. Once you have successfully navigated through the above path, locate the windows registry; usually on the right.
5. Right-click on the Windows entry, and then select Modify
6. Next, in the Value data segment of the edit string dialog box, you will see a long string. Scroll to the right to find SharedSection
7. The SharedSection use the following format (3 groups of number) to indicate the system and PC heaps:
SharedSection – XXXX,yyyy,zzzz
8. It’s time to make changes,
- Increase the yyyy value to “12288”
- Increase the zzzz value to ”1024”
- Increase the yyyy value to “20480”
- Increase the zzzz value to “1024”
9. Once done with the above, save the changes, restart your PC, and the Out Of Memory Error should be fixed.
The initial SharedSection value 1024 states that the heap size is common to all computers. This contains the global handle table (Window handles are unique machine-wide) and shared system settings (such as SystemMetrics). It is probably, that you would never want to change this value.
The second value of the SharedSection registry entry is the size of the desktop heap for each and every computer that is associated with an interactive Window station. The heap is needed for every desktop that is created in the interactive window station (WinSta0). The value is in kilobytes (KB).
The third SharedSection value 512 and controls the size of the desktop heap for each computer that is integrated with a non-interactive window station. If this value is not present, the size of the desktop heap for non-interactive window stations will be the same as the size particularized for interactive window stations (the second SharedSection value).
We increase the second value of the SharedSection registry entry to 20480 and increase the third value of the SharedSection registry entry to 1024 in the automatic fix.
A value that is higher than 20480 KB for the second SharedSection Value is NOT recommended.
Backup your Files
While you try these different ways to fix the memory windows error on your PC, you should also backup your files to be on a safer side. You shouldn’t rule out the possibility of losing important files during the course of fixing this issue. This is why you should at the very least, backup important files.
You can use Google drive to save your files, or get an external drive e.g Hard disk or Flash drive to save your files.
Why is Memory on my PC low?
Memory on your PC is slow because some programs are consuming too much memory or you’re running an app that requires more in terms of RAM. This problem could be because your PC windows is outdated and need to be updated. In addition, you may also need to upgrade the RAM installed on your PC to ensure a better experience.
What are the signs of insufficient RAM on your PC?
When your PC is out of RAM, you get the error message “Out of memory”. Other signs include difficulty in running programs and difficulty in saving new files.
To resolve this, you have to free up the memory on your PC and close running apps consuming too much memory.
How to Fix Out of Memory error on my PC
To fix Out of memory Error, here’s what you should do;
- Restart your PC
- Close programs that consume too much space
- Scan for viruses and malware
- Increase virtual memory
- Update you windows
- Clean junk files and folders as well as temporary files.
- Repair corrupted files.
- Upgrade RAM
These methods are applicable in windows 10, 8 and 7
How do I free up more memory on my PC?
To free up memory on your PC, Open task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard, Select programs using high memory under CPU usage or process, and click End Task to close the selected program or app. Doing this means you’re freeing up the memory on your PC.
If you’re experiencing the Out of Memory error on your PC, simply upgrade your RAM, update your windows and increase your virtual memory. In addition, you can scan your PC for virus and malwares. With this, you can be sure to solve the problem.